Saturday, August 14, 2004

CHEATING THE PUBLIC? WHAT DO YOU THINK?
When someone sells something that is "an inferior product", I believe that they are cheating the public. This is how I feel about the MicroSoft program, Windows ME. Now, I am by no means an Expert, far from it, but I have yet to hear anyone say anything positive about Windows ME. People who are very knowledgable about computers express that belief, strongly.

It is my opinion, and that of millions of others (okay, challenge that figure, if you will, claim it is only hundreds of thousands, or tens of thousands) that Dell and any other company that installed Windows ME in their computers made a huge mistake, and that they should have put out a recall, similar to that done in other industries, like the automobile industry.

Yes, I am months late in saying this, perhaps, but a lot of people are still struggling with this damnable program, a much inferior product to other MicroSoft programs, and feel they have been screwed royally by Dell, other computer companies who have installed it, and that that multi-billion dollar company in Seattle could have afforded to replace that troublesome crappy program without even having to swallow hard. Bill Gates is worth fifty billion or so, Michael Gates is worth fifteen billion or so, and with that much money, the question is, would they lack the integrity to own up to a mistake? Should it or should it not have been replaced?

Locally many users tell me that they have gone back to Windows 98, or bought Windows XP. I've been offered bootleg copies of XP. Should I cheat? Hell, if I'm firmly convinced that Microsoft has screwed me, why shouldn't I take the easy way out and cheat them? If Michael Dell sends me a computer designed for other Windows' programs (clearly stated on the front of the computer) and installs crap in it, ME in it, then what do I owe him? I'll bet he talks about business ethics too, as if he invented the subject! As a businessman with more than fifty years experience, I say that both these companies have screwed their clients royally! That's my opinion and I'll stick to it.

These companies know that many people who buy computers are not experienced enough to cope with an unstable program, a program that requires too many updates, a program that proves too difficult for them to understand or to use because of its defects. Senior citizens, for example, put out their money trusting in the name Microsoft, and Dell. Windows ME fails to deliver, costs them time and money, exasperation, and a loss of confidence.

This is why new laws are introduced, why government gets involved in what should be private business matters, why U.S. Attorneys prosecute millionaire businessmen, because they don't do the right thing. Why should millions of ME clients struggle to keep it running right, spend millions upon millions with local gurus getting it up and running again, try to figure out what cannot be figured out, because the program was unstable to begin with and no matter how many patches are added, is still going to be unstable and cause problems over and over again? Michael Dell, billionaire, in my eyes you're no better than the guys I used to see on the waterfront in N.Y. with watches pinned inside their coats, nor is Bill Gates. Yes, I can spend and buy XP, or go back to Windows 98, but I got ME thinking that I had a good workable product and I did not. Billionaires? Hey, a Billionaire can afford to be honest and ethical. Hey, I'd much rather go back to the 1940's and buy from that guy on the waterfront now! Compared to being stuck with Windows ME, that character was selling Rolex's.
That's Howard's View.
Okay, copy this and send it to whom you wish. You have my permission.
PS If you don't think there is any reason for a billion dollar company to cheat the little guys, check Citicorp and the huge fines, hundreds of millions, they've paid in the last couple of years for "cheating" their smaller clients!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home